The keyboard is an essential part of the laptop. Hence, if there is something wrong with the Dell keyboard drivers, then this can result in the various error and you might encounter that the Dell Laptop keyword not working. In such a case, one effective fix is to update your Dell laptop keyboard drivers. However, there are solutions as well. To know them, stick to the article.
According to the expert’s research, the keyboard not working problem arises on the Dell laptop, due to these factors: a) Outdated Keyboard Drivers; b) Keyboard Conflict with the External Attachments; c) Lack of Maintainance; d) Improper Keyboard Layout Settings.
Tangible Methods to Solve Dell Laptop Keyboard Not Working Windows 10:
If you are stuck with the situation that Dell laptop keyboard not working and do not know what is the reason behind it. Then, try the methods one by one as arranged below. However, if you are aware of the cause, then proceed with the solutions that are mentioned below:
Method 1: Remove All the External Devices
The first thing which you can try if you find that the keyboard not working on your Dell laptop is, remove all the external devices which are attached to it.
Sometimes, it is found that the external devices get conflicted with the keyboard software, and thus results in not working issue. In such a situation, removing external gadgets from the Dell laptop may solve the issue. So, try it once.
After removing the external devices if you get the error resolved, then in the next stage, you need to identify the external device which gets conflicted with the keyboard software. And for that, you need to reattach the devices one by one, after checking the keyboard working condition in the presence of each device. Once you identify the device, try to update the driver of the device and then check if the problem gets fixed or not.
Many of the users are also looking for methods of how to update the external device drivers. To learn the steps of it, continue with the link.
Method 2: Change the QWERTY Settings of Your Dell Laptop
After following the “Remove All the External Devices” technique, if you still found that the Dell laptop keyboard not working, then you need to verify the QWERTY Settings of your Dell laptop. And the steps, you need to proceed with for this method are cited below. Proceed with these below steps to fix the matter effectively.
- At first, take the mouse pointer onto the Windows logo, that is at the extreme below the left-hand corner and then right-click on it.
- After that, from the menu window, select the Settings option.
- Next, click on Time & Language> Region & Language.
- Further, under the Region & Language window, go to the “Language” section and drop-down the options for it.
- After that, select your choice, from the available options for the Language. In general, in most of the cases, the language used for the Dell laptop is the US language. So, select the language at first. After that, restart your PC and then check, if the problem gets resolved.
Most of the users get effective result via trying this method.
Method 3: Update the Dell Keyboard Driver
Try to update the keyboard driver of your Dell laptop, which is one of the effective ways to get rid of the situation that Dell laptop keyboard not working. And hopefully, the steps to update the Dell keyboard driver is familiar to you and if not, then check these steps below.
In Short: Win+R> devmgmt.msc> OK> Keyboards (Double-click)
- Firstly, you need to open the Device Manager window. There are several ways to do it, and are as follows:
- Press the Windows and the letter R key altogether to open the Run bar window. Then, on the Run bar type devmgmt.msc. After that, click on OK. Alternatively, you can press the Enter button to open the Device Manager on the screen.
- Tap the Windows button at first, to activate the search bar. After that, on the search bar type device. Then, from the search results, click on the “Device Manager” option, to bring up the window.
- Now, under the Device Manager window, scroll down to the “Keyboards” option. And then, double-click on it (the Keyboard option), to expand.
In Short: Right-click on Dell Keyboard Laptop Driver> Update Driver Software
- Next, from the expanded options, right-click on your Dell laptop keyboard driver.
- After that, select the “Update Driver Software…” option from the menu window.
- After clicking on the “Update Driver Software…” option, you will get a new window open. On this new window, two different options are present for the “How do you want to search for driver software?” process, and are as follows:
- Search automatically for updated driver software
- Browse my computer to driver software
In Short: Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software>> Restart
- Now, among the options, select “Search automatically for updated driver software”. Then, you will see that the default web-browser window gets open, navigating you to the download page of the Dell keyboard driver.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of the Dell laptop keyboard updates. In case, if you are stuck with any above-said steps of the process to follow, then the case may be, that the driver of the keyboard of the Dell laptop gets damaged, due to a virus attack. Then, the steps you need to proceed with to fix the glitch are explained in the further section.
- However, if you get that the updated process is done successfully, then restart your PC, to get the complete effectiveness of the method. If this method works, then definitely, you will get the error resolved.
Method 4: Uninstall & Reinstall the Dell Keyboard Driver
If you fail in completing the above-explained method, then the matter may be that due to the virus infection, the installed driver of the Dell keyboard gets corrupted. If this is the case, then the solution for this issue is already ready. To learn the complete process of fixing the Dell Inspiron keyboard driver corrupted matter, you need to follow the further instructions.
Step 1: Run a Virus Scan
In order to run a Full scan using the Windows default tool, that is the Windows Defender, you need to follow the below steps.
- At first, take the mouse pointer onto the Windows logo, that is, present at the below left-hand corner on the screen. After that, right-click on the Windows logo.
- Next, select the “Settings” option from the menu window.
- After that, under the Settings window, navigate to the “Update & Security” section, and then click on it.
- Next, from the left-hand side panel of the window, choose the “Windows Defender” option.
- After that, click on “Open Windows Defender Security Center”, which you will get at the right-hand side of the window.
- Further, click on the shield symboled icon, from the left-hand side panel.
- Then, hit the “Advanced scan” link, which you will get at the top of the “Scan now” button.
- Now, enable the check-box for the “Full” option.
- And lastly, click on the “Scan now” button. After doing this you will see that the scanning process is in progress. Wait, until it gets over.
- Once, the scanning is done completely, restart your PC. And then, follow the further steps to fix the Dell laptop keyboard not working matter with the help of this method.
Step 2: Uninstall the Dell Laptop Keyboard Driver
Now, to proceed further, press down the Windows and the letter R key both at a time, to get the Run bar open. After that, on the run bar type “devmgmt.msc”, without the quotations. Then, click on OK/ hit the Enter button. Next, search the “Keyboards” section, under the Device Manager window, and expand it, by double-click on it. Now, from the expanded options, right-click on the Dell laptop keyboard. Further, from the menu window, select the “Uninstall driver” option. And then, click on OK, to confirm.
Step 3: Restart Your PC
Once, the Dell laptop keyboard driver gets uninstalled, restart your PC, by using the touchpad of your Dell laptop. And then, check if the issue gets resolved. Restarting the laptop will automatically load the keyboard driver on the PC. Once, you find that the issue gets sorted, it is recommended to install the latest drivers for your keyboard, to avoid further issues.
All these are the complete methods to fix the Dell laptop keyboard not working issue. Hopefully, after you go through this article, you can fix the matter efficiently, as all the other users did.