Dell laptops are undeniably one of the most renowned devices with extraordinary features. But nowadays a majority of Dell users are getting Dell DVD drive not working Windows 10 error in their device. This error generally occurs due to some glitch present in the DVD driver which you are using in your Dell device. Besides that, this issue might also occur due to problematic BIOS system.
If you come across this error and want to fix it, then you have come to the right page. This article will guide you for troubleshooting tips to resolve this issue.
Troubleshooting Steps to Overcome Dell DVD Drive Not Working Windows 10 Error:
Here are some troubleshooting fixes which will help you out in resolving this particular error in your Dell device. Try to follow them whichever looks convenient for you.
Method 1: Check if the CD Drive recognizes the BIOS
In order to check whether your CD drive is recognized by the BIOS or not, you can follow these steps:
- First of all, you need to restart your computer.
- Now, in the startup, you need to enter BIOS. By pressing DEL or F10 key.
- When you navigate to the BIOS, go to the Storage tab and then go to the Device Configuration. Hit the Enter button to continue.
- Once you are done with the steps, you need to search for your CD/DVD drive under the Device Configuration screen.
- In case, if you won’t find your disc drive under the Device Configuration, then there is a possibility that you are getting this error due to some issues present in the hardware which you are using.
- In such cases, you can bring a new CD/DVD drive or can change the CD/DVD Drive. But be sure that, you have successfully ejected the previous one. If you are unaware of how to eject CD drive, follow these steps listed below.
Eject CD/ DVD Drive
- To eject CD drive, press the Windows key and the E at the same time to open Windows Explorer or File Explorer.
- Click on the Computer or My PC situated at the left pane of the window.
- Right-click on the CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive icon and choose Eject button.
After that, install your new CD drive. If it resolves this error then fine, otherwise follow the next one.
Method 2: Using Device Manager
Once you detect that your disc drive is present in BIOS and the problem is not hardware related, then you can use Device Manager to settle this issue. Moreover, if your disc drive still fails to recognize discs or it is not shown in the File Explorer, then you need to perform some action in the Device Manager. It will particularly resolve this error.
- Firstly, go to Search option and type Device Manager. After that, you need to open Device Manager.
- Next, locate the DVD/CD-ROM drives section and expand the Dell DVD drive section.
- Now, the first thing which you have to perform is to update disc drive drivers.
- In case, if you notice the drivers are up to date the next thing which you can do is try to reinstall the disc drive. In order to uninstall it, you need to go to the Action and then scan for hardware changes.
Once you complete the whole process, your disc drive will appear in the Device Manager again.
Method 3: Reset the BIOS Settings
If you reset Dell BIOS settings, then it can resolve this error. Here are some steps that you can follow to perform resetting the BIOS.
- At first, navigate to the BIOS and go to the Exit tab.
- Now, choose Optimal Defaults and hit the Enter button to continue.
- After that, press the F10 in order to save the changes and restart your computer again.
- Again, your BIOS settings will be set to default. Now, try to run your disc again and notice if there are any improvements or not.
Method 4: Reset the Power of your Computer
You can also perform a power reset process in your computer to overcome this error. On that note, try to follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to tap and hold the Power button for some time to completely turn off your computer.
- Wait until your computer shuts down completely. After that, you need to disconnect the Power cable from the computer.
- After that, you need to wait for some time and reconnect the power to the computer again.
- Next, turn on the computer again and wait until the Windows starts. In case, if you notice any message stating that Windows is installing new hardware, then you need to wait until this process is finished and then check if the CD/DVD drive is available now.
Once you complete all these steps, then you will be able to fix this typical error.
Method 5: Uninstall IDE ATA/ ATAPI Controllers
One of the most common reasons due to which you can encounter this Dell DVD drive not working Windows 10 error can be the faulty device drivers. You need to reinstall the drivers to resolve it.
- Firstly, on your keyboard, you need to tap on the Windows logo key and R at the same time to launch the Run dialog box. Now, click on the Device Manager.
- After that, you need to locate the IDE ATA/ ATAPI controllers.
- Again, right-click on the ATA Channel 0 and click on Uninstall.
- Then, right-click on the ATA Channel 1 and click on Uninstall.
- In case, if you notice more options under IDE/ ATAPI controllers category, right-click on them and tap on the Uninstall option as per above procedures.
- After that, you need to reboot your computer after performing these changes.
- Now, you will be able to resolve this error.
Here is a step-by-step guide using which you will be able to troubleshoot Dell laptop DVD drive not working Windows 10 error. If you have any further queries, drop a comment below at the comment section. Hopefully, if you have implemented all these steps carefully, then you must have fixed this error in an effective way. For further assistance, you can contact an experienced professional.