Most of the Dell users have encountered that the Fn key not working on Dell Laptop especially while trying to change the volume, brightness, etc. This issue appears if the Fn key feature is turned off. Another reason is the presence of an outdated version of the driver. Sometimes, due to the corrupted or damaged driver, the Fn key stops working. Many users have also reported that they find this problem while updating the Operating System.
If you are also facing this similar problem then, do not panic. Here in this guideline, you will get to know all the solving procedures that can help you to get rid of this particular issue in no time.
Procedure for Resolving Fn Key Not Working on Windows 10:
Now we are going to share some of the easy and effective procedures to resolve the Fn key not working Windows 10. So, let’s have a look at the effective methods given below:
Procedure 1 – Run the Hardware Troubleshooter
By running the hardware troubleshooter you can fix this annoying error. To do so follow these steps:
- At first, hold the Windows button and press the I key to open the Settings application.
- When the Settings application opens, double-click on the Update & Security tab.
- In the Update & Security section, select the Troubleshoot tab on the left side panel.
- On the right side window, find the Hardware & Devices and click on it to expend it.
- After that, select the Run the Troubleshooter button to start the process.
- Once the process is done, restart your Dell laptop.
Procedure 2 – Check if the Function Key is Locked
If you find the Function key is not working, that indicates that it is locked. If you do not know how do you lock and unlock the Function key then try to press the Fn key and Esc key together. After pressing these keys, you can check whether the Function key works properly or not.
Procedure 3 – Update the Keyboard Driver
If the keyboard driver is old then you can confront this problem on the Windows 10 system. So you should update the keyboard driver. If you don’t know how can you update the driver then follow the instructions stated below:
- Firstly, press the Windows key + S key together to open the Search Panel.
- In the Search box, type Device Manager and then hit the Enter button.
- From the Device Manager window, go to the left side panel and find the Keyboard section select it to expend it.
- Now, right click on the Keyboard driver to open the list and then select the Update Software Driver button to start the updating process.
- Once the update process is completed, reboot the system and then check if the issue still appears or not.
Procedure 4 – Turn On the VAIO Event Services
Sometimes, this problem arises if the VAIO Event services are turned off. So, you need to fix this issue by turning on this service. To turn on this service, follow the steps:
- First of all, press the Windows key and along with the R key to launch the Run window.
- From the Run window, type services.msc and then hit the Enter key or click on the OK option.
- When the Services window opens, scroll down the page and search for the VAIO event services, right click on it. After that, click on the Properties button from that list.
- In the Properties window, navigate to the Startup type section and then select the Automatic option under the drop-down list.
- After doing this, click on the Start button to start the service. Then, select the OK option to save it.
Procedure 5 – Change the Function Key Behavior
Fn key not working on the Dell laptop issue occurs if the Function key’s behavior is incorrect or wrong. So, you should change the behavior and resolve this problem on your PC. To modify it follow the steps:
- Press the Windows key and X key together to open the WinX Menu list.
- Select the Control Panel application from that list.
- In the Control Panel application, select the Windows Mobility Center section.
- From the Windows Mobility Center section, find the Function Key Behavior, select the drop-down arrow. After that, click on the Function Key from the drop-down list.
- Then press the Apply option and then click on the OK option to save the changes.
Procedure 6 – Reinstall the Keyboard Driver
If the keyboard driver is missing then you might also encounter this problem on the system. So, you should uninstall the driver and again install it. To reinstall the driver follow the steps:
- First, hold the Windows button and at the same time press the X key to launch the Start Menu list.
- From that list, select the Device Manager.
- When the Device Manager application opens, locate the Keyboard driver from the left side panel, right click on it. Select the Uninstall Device button to begin the process.
- After removing this, install it again. So, you can again open the Device Manager application.
- From that window, click on the Scan for hardware changes icon which is present at the top of the page.
- After the scanning process completes, reinstall the driver and then restart your Dell laptop.
Procedure 7 – Remove the HotKey Driver
By removing the Hotkey driver you can easily fix the Fn key not working issue on the Windows system. Therefore, follow these directions carefully:
- To open the Run dialog box, press the Win + R key together.
- Type Device Manager in the Run box and then select the OK button and hit the Enter key.
- Find the Hotkey driver from the Device Manager application and then right click on it.
- Select the Uninstall Device option from that list.
- Once it completed, restart the system.
Procedure 8 – Reset this PC
After performing the above-mentioned procedures if the issue still appears on your laptop then you need to reset your computer. If you do not know how to reset the computer follow the simple steps cited below:
- Firstly, go to the Search box, type Reset and then hit the Enter key on the keyboard to launch the Reset this PC window.
- In the Reset window, select the Get Started option.
- From the next window, you can choose the file that you want to discard or keep and then begin the restore process.
- After completing this process check whether the Function key is working or not.
Well, the procedures that are described in the above section will help you to get rid of the Fn key not working on Dell laptop. Read this article carefully and follow these steps accordingly on your computer to fix this issue. After performing these procedures if the issue still appears then you can consult with an expert.