An unexpected end of a critical process can trigger various types of errors or issues on your system and the BSOD is one of them. Most of the time, this error appears on the Dell laptops when an important background process goes corrupt.
Apart from that, the critical process died BSOD error message also generates on Dell laptop because of some software misconfigurations and improper modifications. However, in some cases, users have found that Dell’s critical process died can also show up because of the hardware issue of the system.
Now, if you are one of those users who is facing this error on your Dell laptop, then start following this article. This is because we have provided all the possible solutions of this error message here. But, before going into the solution part, have a look at the major reasons for this error.
Main Causes of Dell’s Critical Process Died BSOD Error Message
Here, we have provided some examples of those problematic factors which can generate this BSOD error on your Dell laptop. Have a look at them:
- Files getting corrupted.
- Bad or Outdated drivers.
- Incompatible Windows OS updates.
- Misconfiguration issue in the Windows settings.
- Outdated BIOS
- Critical Hardware issues.
Now, if you identified all the possible causes of this error, then let’s have a look at its solutions.
Ways to Fix Dell’s Critical Process Died BSOD Error Message
In order to resolve the Dell XPS 15’s Critical process died error, you can try out various types of solutions and workarounds. And in this section of the article, we have provided some of the most effective solutions to this error. Have a look at them and try to use them as instructed.
Run the Hardware and Device Troubleshoot Tool
Windows OS provides a broad range of troubleshooting tool and one of them is specially developed for the hardware and device related issues. Hence, you can use that tool against this error and in order to run that tool on your system follow the given steps:
- Open the Setting Window and click on the Update and Security option.
- This will open up the Update and Security window. There you need to click on the Troubleshoot option in order to enter into its windows.
- In that window, you need to locate and click on the Hardware and Devices option. An area will appear under that option. Inside that expanded section, you will get the Run the troubleshooter button. Click on it.
After that, your system will start a scanning process in order to locate and rectify all the problem. Once that process is completed, reboot your system and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Run the System File Checker Utility
The next thing you should try against this error the System File Checker Utility. It is a well-known tool that can resolve a wide range of Windows OS based error and issue by repairing the corrupted or incorrectly modified system files. Now, in order to run this Utility on your system follow the given steps:
- Launch the Run Dialog Box by pressing the Windows key + R key at the same time. Then type cmd on it and hit the OK button or the Enter key. This will open the Command Prompt window.
- Now, in the Command Prompt window, type “SFC /scannow” and hit the Enter key.
This will launch the scanning and repairing process on your which will take a while to get complete. Once the process finishes up its job, restart your system and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Run an Antivirus Application
Apart from file corruption issue the Critical Process Died error message can appear on your system because of virus and malware attacks. And you need to remove them from your system in order to fix this error. Now, to do that, you can use either the Windows Defender application or any third-party antivirus application. While using such application make sure to run a deep or a full system scan.
Use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management Tool( DISM)
At this point, if you are still facing this error on your Dell laptop, then you should run the DISM tool on your system. And to do that, follow the given steps properly:
- Press the Window key + X key to open the WinX menu. In that menu, you will get the Command Prompt ( Admin) option. Click on that option in order to launch the Command Prompt window with Administrative rights.
- In that window, you need to type “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” and then, hit the Enter button.
After this, the DISM tool will start its job and it will take 10 minutes and half an hour to get completed. Once it finishes its job, restart your system and look for the Dell laptop’s Critical process died error message.
Update the Drivers
Bad or Outdated drivers are one of the most common reasons for this error message. Hence, it will be a sensible decision to check and update all the outdated drivers. Now, to perform this method on your system follow the given steps:
- Launch the WinX menu and select the Device Manager option
- In the Device Manager window, locate those drivers which are outdated or showing exclamation marks.
- Once you got them, right-click on them one by one and then click on the Update Driver Software option.
After that, you need to follow the on-screen instructions in order to complete the updating process. Now, you just need to reboot your system and check whether the error is removed or not.
Uninstall the Recent Windows Updates
If this error has newly started to appear on your system, then a recent Windows Update might be the cause of it. However, you can uninstall all the recent updates from your system but to do that you need to follow the below-given instructions:
- Open the Setting window and click on the Update and Security option.
- In the Update and Security window, click on the Windows Update option and then select the Update History.
- Now, inside the Update History window, you will get a list of all those updates which are installed on your system. From that list, highlight those updates which you want to remove and then hit the Uninstall button. You will get that button on the top-left corner of the window.
Once you removed all the update, reboot your system and the look for the error.
Perform a Clean Boot of Your System
Sometimes, users are able to eliminate this error by simply performing a Clean boot up in their Dell XPS laptop. And it is quite possible the same trick works for you also. Now, to try it out, follow the given steps:
- Open the Windows Search bar and type “System Configuration” in there. Then, hit the Enter key.
- This will launch the System Configuration window on the screen. In that window, you need to tap on the Services tab.
- Inside that tab, you need to uncheck the box beside the Hide all Microsoft Services and then hit the Disable All button.
- Now, click on the Startup tab and then select the Open Task Manager option.
- In the Task Manager window, tap on the Startup tab again and then disable all the items present in that list.
After that, reboot your system properly and check for the error message.
Restore the Windows OS
In a few cases, Dell laptop users have noted that by rolling back the OS into the pre-error state they can remove all the causes of this error quite easily. However, this thing is only possible, if the user has enabled the creation of restore points prior to the appears of this error message. Now, if you have done this thing on your Dell laptop then follow the given steps:
- Open the Setting window and click on the Update & Security option.
- This will launch the Update & Security window on the screen. In that window, you need to click on the Recovery option.
- Now, the Recovery window, you will get the Reset this PC option. Click on it and then select the Get Started option.
- After that, you need to click on the Keep Files option and then follow the on-screen instruction to complete the process.
Once your system finishes the restoring process, reboot your system and verify the status of Dell’s critical process died error message.
Update the BIOS Of Your Dell Laptop
Now, as a final solution, try to update your Dell laptop’s BIOS by following the given steps.
- Visit the official website of Dell and then download the latest BIOS update files manually.
- After that, install them on your system carefully and make sure nothing interrupts the installation process.
Once the BIOS installation process gets completed, reboot your system and check whether the error is eliminated or not.
However, if all the above-mentioned solution doesn’t work for you, then it is quite possible that the Critical process died error message is occurring on your system because of some serious hardware issue. And in order to fix that problem, you need to consult with a technical expert.
We hope that our solutions and suggestions are helpful to you regarding Dell’s critical process died error message. But, if you need more information on this topic or any other tech-related stuff, then keep following our upcoming articles.